And so, 2016 is about ready to be flushed down the toilet.
I won’t whinge about how awful it was. You know how awful it was. Everyone knows how awful it was.
I’m not entirely finished being angry about the events of the year, but I am ready to climb into 2017 and dig for gold.
New Year’s Resolutions are notorious for making you feel guilty about your lack of willpower. I do it anyway, because I’m obstinate, but I’m not climbing into a new skin this year like so many try to. My skin is okay with me.
So: resolutions based on renovations, instead of knock-down-rebuild.
1. Stop apologising for my coffee order just because it’s long to say and kind of pretentious. I am a barista – it’s not actually hard to make. I’m paying for the coffee. The apology is unnecessary.
2. Stop ducking my head when I walk past people. It’s almost like I’m ashamed to look people in the eye, or ashamed of people looking me in the eye. Honestly, it probably comes off as being rude. Stop doubting that I’m worth looking at.
3. Stop swearing when I don’t need to be swearing. Like when I’m not angry, just mild annoyed. Also: improve vocabulary of angry words.
4. Start accumulating healthy self care practices. Like going for walks. Not like browsing Facebook for two hours.
5. Start showing more daily compassion. I live one time. My friends deserve to know that I love them.
I think 5 is as many as I can realistically manage. And that’s okay with me.
2017 might be shit. We can’t predict anything, really. But I’m working on me this year, and hopefully everything else will fall into place. Or it won’t, and I can practice being okay with that.
I have 11 minutes to go, and some profanities to yell into the void.
Have a very happy new year.